As cannabis is becoming more socially accepted, you’re hearing about patients turning away from prescription drugs and opting for medical marijuana to ease their ailments.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), prescription drug abuse is so bad that they are calling it an epidemic! Below are a few shocking facts that you may have not known about prescribed pills to give you an idea of how bad the situation really is:
- 44+ deaths each day
- 17,000+ Deaths per year
- Estimated 52,000,000 non medical users in 2010
- Outnumber deaths by heroin & cocaine
- Common side effects include sedation, dizziness, nausea, etc.
- Highly addictive, frequently abused by teens
- 90% of prescription drug abuse starts in teenage years
- 54.2% of pills consumed by teens are obtained free from friends/relatives
- 75% of the world’s prescription drugs are consumed by US citizens, who only make up 5% of the world’s population
- Addiction to cannabis is less than that of opiates
- Marijuana is safer in the long-term and not at all life threatening
- Prescription drug deaths fell approximately 24.8% in medical marijuana states
- Medical cannabis can replace painkillers, anti-anxiety medication, stimulants, sleep aids, and antidepressants
With numbers like these, it is no mystery why patients are finally beginning to accept and educate themselves on the benefits of medical cannabis.